Recent changes patrollers wanted on the wiki

Paul Boddie paul.boddie at biotek.uio.no
Fri May 28 07:25:18 CDT 2010

Adrian Buehlmann wrote:
> I recommend that those who are interested in the wiki start doing a bit
> recent changes patrolling. All that's needed is looking at:
>
> http://mercurial.selenic.com/wiki/RecentChanges
>
> once per day or so. You can also set bookmarks to hide changes you have
> seen.
>
> Subscribing by email to page changes is not very effective, IMHO.

Generally, I use the RSS feeds of various Wikis to monitor activity,
although they don't usually provide any information about edits.

> If there was a SPAM edit, you can use the "Info" link on the top of the
> affected page and then click on the "view" link column of the last known
> good revision.
>
> Then choose "Revert to this revision" from the "More Actions" drop down.
>
> Also watch out a bit for attachment SPAM. Logged in users can upload
> attachment files per page. Just delete these if its SPAM (click on the
> "Attachments" links on the top).
>
> See also http://mercurial.selenic.com/wiki/HelpOnEditing and
> http://mercurial.selenic.com/wiki/HelpForUsers

What antispam measures are being used for the Wiki? I guess the
BadContent and LocalBadContent are enabled. In addition, I see that
there's a group of banned users, but is there a group of trusted users
for the editing of certain pages? And I guess TextCHA support isn't enabled.

The most recent bad spamming I saw was the persistent addition of new
pages - a common spamming tactic - which I ended by inserting a suitable
regular expression into LocalBadContent. We could probably discourage
that and attachment spamming by enabling the TextCHA support.

Paul