rev 1 points to unexpected changeset

Scott Hammond scotth41 at gmail.com
Fri Mar 26 16:59:46 CDT 2010

I have a situation where in a repo I can do an 'hg verify' and the
repo is fine, then I do an 'hg unbundle', then I do an 'hg verify',
and I get "unexpected changeset" errors:

foo/bar.c@?: rev 1 points to unexpected changeset (851)
(expected 965).

Someone sent me a bundle of their changes between a copy of my repo
and a clone of the copy of my repo (in which they were working).
Clearly something went wrong, either the copy of my repo is bad or
something happened in the clone.  Either way, I'm a little surprised
that the unbundle worked for me.

Whatever the cause, I'm wondering what the repo repair choices are.

Looking at the offending files, it looks to me like when hg verify
says "expected 965" that that is actually correct, though "851" is a
valid changeset but not for this change.  And the content of the files
looks correct.

Is there a way to repair this repository so that hg verify is happy again?

I received several changesets in the bundle, all of which are fine but
this one, so it might be nice to just fix this one and move on.  Or is
my best bet to clone my repo before this problem occurred, manually
copy in the changed files, commit them and so forth?

Using 1.4.3, but I don't know which version generated the bundle.