hg forget vs entry in .hgignore

Martin Geisler mg at lazybytes.net
Wed Aug 5 07:43:18 CDT 2009

Andreas Tscharner <andy at vis.ethz.ch> writes:

> Hello World,
>
> I noticed that there is a new command in version 1.3.1 "hg forget".
> Now I wonder what's the difference between hg forgetting a file or
> make an entry in the .hgignore file

A file can be tracked or not, you use 'hg add' to track a file and 'hg
remove' or 'hg forget' to un-track it. Using 'hg remove' without flags
will both delete the file and un-track it, 'hg forget' will simply
un-track it without deleting it.

Un-tracked files show up with a question mark in 'hg status', unless
they are matched by the .hgignore file. So when you 'hg forget' a file,
it will typically show up as un-tracked in 'hg status', unless you have
a line in your .hgignore that matches said file.

Tracked files are never affected by the .hgignore file.

--
Martin Geisler

VIFF (Virtual Ideal Functionality Framework) brings easy and efficient
SMPC (Secure Multiparty Computation) to Python. See: http://viff.dk/.