emacs, hard-links, version-control

Ken Blake kblake2 at gmail.com
Thu Jul 17 11:00:41 CDT 2008

I ran into this too.  The documentation that mentions you can use cp -al
instead of clone says editors like vi and emacs break the link.  By default
that's true but if you use mercurial.el then it's no longer the case for
emacs.  Looking through the vc-mode.el code I found a variable you can set
to revert it back to the default behavior.  Add this to your init file.
(setq vc-make-backup-files t)

Ken