Tracking /etc files (was: Re: hg add default behaviour...)

Giorgos Keramidas keramida at ceid.upatras.gr
Thu Aug 23 17:48:05 CDT 2007

On 2007-08-23 16:57, Maxim Khitrov <mkhitrov at gmail.com> wrote:
> For example, I run several FreeBSD servers on which mercurial is used
> to keep track of all configuration files. The repository is located in
> /.hg, and I configured ignore rules such that only files in /etc and
> /usr/local/etc and added. Install a new piece of software, run hg add
> to import the default configuration, edit configuration and commit the
> changes. For me, it's been a great way to keep your systems healthy
> and track all the important configuration changes. I use the exact
> same behavior when working on programming projects. See absolutely no
> reason why hg add should behave any differently.

Would you care to elaborate a bit on the setup you use to get this sort
of /etc file tracking going?

Mercurial doesn't track some of the file attributes (i.e. owner:group,
special file system attributes, mtime/ctime/atime, etc.), so it would be
interesting to know if you have hooks in place to handle that, what
these hooks do, and other neat tips.

Perhaps a page in the wiki, or an article of some sort? :-)

- Giorgos