hg rm without removing the file?

Marcin Kasperski Marcin.Kasperski at softax.com.pl
Thu Apr 26 09:01:53 CDT 2007

Unless I miss sth, it is currently impossible to stop tracking
the file without removing it (or moving it somewhere).

It would be nice, if one could issue something like
		 hg rm --keep some.file
and remove the file from the repository point of view,
but keep it in the directory.

Motivation? Cases like mistakenly adding (and committing) some
logfile, lockfile, pidfile, statusfile etc.

One can of course workaround by renaming file, hg rm --after it,
and renaming it back, but it is problematic when the file is
used by some processess (say, casus of pidfile, lockfile etc)

PS Yeah, I track /etc/ using mercurial, generally it works great!