"Not trusting file.." on pull

Alexis S. L. Carvalho alexis at cecm.usp.br
Tue Oct 31 23:37:40 CST 2006

Thus spake TK Soh:
> I am getting this message (edited to mask user and path) when trying
> to pull using the recent crew revision
>
>  % hg pull
>  Not trusting file /remote/repo/.hg/hgrc from untrusted user me, group
>  mygroup

> What is he "Not trusting file.." message trying to tell us?

Mercurial obviously uses some settings from the .hg/hgrc file from a
repo.  Some of these settings could be (ab)used by the owner of a repo
to trick the user running hg into executing some arbitrary code.  For
example, when you pull, the "outgoing" hook is executed automatically.

Up to 0.9.1, most (all?) of these problems would appear only if you
actively interacted with the repo (i.e. used pull, push, incoming,
outgoing, commit, email, etc), but current tip will automatically load
extensions specified in .hg/hgrc files[1] for all commands that open the
repository.  This means that a simple "hg paths" could lead to arbitrary
code execution.

To prevent this, hg looks up the owner and the group of a .hg/hgrc file
before loading it.  If it doesn't trust this user/group, it doesn't use
the settings from this file[2].

You can tell that you trust some user/group by adding something like
this to ~/.hgrc:

[trusted]
users = foo, bar, baz
groups = fred, barney

(use "*" if you want to trust all users/groups)

Now, the user running hg should always be trusted.  If the
/remote/repo/.hg/hgrc file does belong to you, you may have hit a bug
:-/ .  In this case, can you put the next few lines in a file and
execute it (after fixing the '/remote/repo/.hg/hgrc', of course)?

--x--
#!/usr/bin/env python
import os
import pwd

print 'my name:', pwd.getpwuid(os.getuid())[0]
st = os.stat('/remote/repo/.hg/hgrc')
print 'file owner:', pwd.getpwuid(st.st_uid)[0]
--x--

Some additional info about your setup would also be interesting (is the
/remote/repo on NFS, are you using NIS, LDAP, ...).

Alexis

[1] - the extension is loaded only after parsing the command line, so
you still can't use commands defined by this extension.  IOW, this is
useful for e.g. the notify extension, but not for mq.

[2] - right now, the only exception is hgweb, since it's common to run
the CGI script as one user, serving repos from other users.