Hi all, that's me

Giovanni Gherdovich g.gherdovich at gmail.com
Fri Apr 12 13:04:10 CDT 2013

Hello everybody,

this is my first message on the list.
I'd introduce myself since I'd like to propose an idea for the next GSoC,
and I am volunteering to mentor the student that possibly will
implement it, if there will be any.

I'm Giovanni Gherdovich, 29 yo. Born in Italy but living in France
(Antibes) since quite some time.
I started writing computer programs a long ago;
it took me a while to figure out how to do it well.
I attended university and studied math and compsci.

Later I started a PhD but drop out to work in the PlanetLab project[1].
Then I've been at the phone company Orange[2] and currently working
on airline reservations at Amadeus[3].
I do enjoy being a programmer. I use mercurial since 2 months;
I immediately joined the IRC channel to learn from people who know it better
than me, and found a very warm and welcoming community.

I am aware of the disgraces that come out of bad communication,
and the huge loss of attention and focus that come along with such things;
hence on mails and IRC I always keep a very respectful and listening
attitude.

I don't like the expression "project management", because it is more often
than not
taken as an excuse to hold endless meeting and keep people from getting
things done.
But I do recognize that some sort of planning and measurement metrics is
necessary
to achieve whatever goal, so I myself use self-hosted instances of trac[4]
to manage all sort of things I do. It's my way to make TODOs.

My strength are C++ and python, tho in the past I've been messing around
with
many other languages. I prefer to don't use MS Windows unless I really have
to;
my operating system of choice is GNU/Linux, in several flavours (currently
Ubuntu).

People usually say that I am a good person to work with.

I can be found online in many places:

my blog: http://www.gghh.name/dibtp/
G+ https://plus.google.com/u/0/107102594053496989453/posts
Twitter https://twitter.com/_GGhh_
my IRC handle is ggherdov

I have a github account (soon a bitbucket one :-),
https://github.com/gghh
but I host most of my code on my own server at http://www.gghh.name/gitweb/

Cheers!
GGhh