A note to everyone implementing hosting solutions: fix subrepos already

Matt Mackall mpm at selenic.com
Tue Oct 11 18:58:43 CDT 2011

On Tue, 2011-10-11 at 15:38 -0500, Matt Mackall wrote:
> Subrepos were released over two years ago in June 2009 as part of 1.3.
> If you don't yet support _nested_ repositories of the form:
>
> http://blah/blah/project/subproject
>
> ..you do not yet support subrepos properly, which is causing lots of
> suffering and confusion that we can't fix it on our end.
>
> As far as I know, folks that are currently failing here includes
> BitBucket, Google Code, Kiln, Rhodecode, CodePlex and basically
> everything except hgweb itself.
>
> Please hack something in pronto, like something that redirects foo/bar
> into foo-bar.

FYI, aliasing/redirects is actually the preferred solution here, and
what we generally recommend to people with hgweb.

That is, if Alice has projects foo with subrepo bar that actually owned
by Bob, she should be able to say: "push/pull requests to
http://hosting/alice/foo/bar should be redirected to
http://hosting/bob/bar" so Alice doesn't have to actually mirror Bob's
repo. Either internal or external redirects should be fine.